Taking a look at the bearings and brakes on the camper
I spent some time today disassembling the wheels and checking the brake units on the camper. As I suspected the bearings were in good shape and a quick cleaning and repacking was in order.
I can’t say the same for the brake units. This camper has electric brakes. They are small 7′ by 1 1/2″ units. The passenger side was a total disaster. When I removed the drum/hub the brake pad material literally dropped out! Not good! So I removed the 4 nuts that hold the unit on to the axle and removed the unit.
The driver side was similar but this time the coil assembly dropped out! I attempted to get the 4 nuts off to remove the unit only one decided to break the mount stud weld inside the unit so I had to do some additional disassembly of the brake unit to get to the stud in order to get the nut off. Not really hard just annoying. But I did it.
I went to a local parts store and got some new seals and proceeded to clean and repack the bearings. And after a cleanup of the drums inside I assembled the hubs, reinstalled them, and adjusted them uneventfully.
Things To Do
So now it is an online hunt for some new brake units. No biggie. They are fully assembled and install with the four studs and nuts. Then a couple of wire hookups and we’re good to go. Literally. With fully functional brakes! Nice!