Let’s try the ignition switch!
In another attempt to get the ratty run issue on the 65 resolved I spent some time yesterday swapping out the ignition switch and lock cylinder. The possibility of a bad connection in the RUN position was the premise. It was a cheap date and aside from being elfin magic to get your hand up into the dash, it was a no-fix fix. After contorting myself into a position where I could reach the switch and twist it out of the bezel it was a pretty straight up R&R. But sadly it was not the fix. SameO SameO!
So now I am going to totally backtrack my steps and see if I went awry somewhere along the way to attempting a fix.
- recheck all valves and rockers are moving as advertised
- deadstop the motor to make sure TDC is really TDC.
What it does do is catch kinda maybe and run way ratty then dies in 5-10 seconds or so. Once in a blue moon it will fire and run sweet for about 2 minutes then get ratty, die and back to a no catch condition. All efforts have resulted in the same net effect.
- New carb [reswap back to original]
- New distributor [reswap back to original]
- New coil [reswap back to original]
- New 4 gauge engine ground strap
- new fuel pump and filter [reswap back to original]
- new ignition switch and lock cylinder
- drained gas tank and refilled fresh
This whole thing is bugging the fire out of me and after 24 years of flawless fun now this. Crap! But I will stay at it and promse not to throw things!