Dearborn 2015 – the good and the bad


It was a short but productive event for me

Short as in 6 hours short, to be exact!

The Dearborn 2015 swap meet is a premier 2 day event [July 18/19] and I had every intention of staying overnight on the Chelsea County Fairgrounds  compound which is about 60 miles out for me. It is a 45 year old event that I have participated in for going on 20 years. And a big facet of it is the social gathering of local gearheads. But as we all know things evolve rapidly.

The weather was predicted to be sunny, rain free and HOT! I got there early and set up on my indoor spot right next to a nice big overhead door. I paid for my spot within 20 minutes of unpacking. The rest of the morning was in and out of the selling mode and into the shopping / buying mode. At a swap early is good! All the neat stuff is still there.

My prize of the day was a 14 inch Hitachi Cut-off saw for $40! [ It’s bad when you aren’t getting parts or goodies but shop tools! ] But I could not pass it up.  I actually had multiple request from customer at my spot throughout my stay as to whether I was selling it. NOPE! A long time swap friend had some headrests for me so I picked those up also.

Don’t believe the weather guy!

The day progressed into a very hot one. 90+ degrees and humid. Tolerable. And I did a good business so the day was doing well for me. Then about 2PMish the sky from the west got black quickly. I mean gray / black and building fast. I was inside so it really wasn’t a big concern. A lot of vendors were looking to the sky and scrambling to cover their goods. Then the front came through. It was a cool rush but what a rush!  It took out a handful of canopies in just minutes. Then the downpour started. Kinda refreshing but really wet. Thank You Captain Obvious!

While it only lasted about 20 minutes it cleared quickly and turned what was a hot sticky day into a really hot really muggy day. So with no relief in sight for the rest of the day I made a unilateral decision to take the money and run. So I packed up and called it a day. And an event.

I did very well sales wise, made some money, got some stuff along the way and I made the trip easily thanks to  Wun Tunn Zoop. But the ultimate plus was an evening at home. In the air conditioning! And with a nice shower. Not in the van.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s