Some sticky progress on the 70

Standard

Garage apron with both Mustangs

I had another nice day to work with so I took advantage of it. I decided to put some of the basic interior components back in. I put the rear left and right trim panels in. No problem I may have to take them out later for paint but for now we are good. The rear decking went in nicely. Then I decided to attack the carpeting. And in order to do that I had to pull up the automatic shifter bezel. So I pulled up the bezel for the floor shifter .

First surprise was a whole bunch of sticky black stuff all over my fingers after I released the T handle and pulled the bezel over the top. A bit of discovery revealed that the black rubber skirting that was used to seal the shifter opening had just reverted back to a black putty like blob. All that was left was the steel skeleton. And it was all over the lower shifter mech. I took the shifter bezel apart and cleaned it and then went after the lower mech. A bit arduous and tedious but doable. I must say that it probably hasn’t been that clean in a while so I guess it was a good thing. The only discovery was that the shifter handle seems to have way too much play left and right so I will have to do some research as too how to fix that. Might be an easy fix or a whole new unit.

If it is the unit I may just put in a ratchet shifter. But that is still to be determined. So right now I am still putting in the interior. Another day and more progress sorta. It’s always something.

70 Mustang
Squeaky Toy Page

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s